Sunday, August 5, 2012

FUDSicles.

Overlooking Nome like some alien colony who never took any lessons in subtlety, the White Alice telecommunication settlement of World War II had been the premise of many of my google searches before reaching Nome.  I don't know why exactly but I have always had a fascination with both A. Space-esque futuristic things and B. Abandoned buildings.  Short of finding a defunct Planetarium, the White Alice site is paradise for someone like me.  While most FUDS (Formerly Used Defense Sites) such as the White Alice in Nome are being completely dismantled, this particular site has been chosen for preservation by city officials due to public demand.  While the Nome site is nothing like what it apparently used to be, I think it is fantastic that at the very least the ominous towers on the horizon will be a sight to see for years to come.

The view not far from where I live.
It is thanks to my fellow KNOM-ers that I got a chance to visit this awesome place today.  We drove just a few miles out of town to see where folks live who wish to apparently escape the crowd of Nome if you will.  How the population even just a few miles outside of the city manages to get supplies in the winter is beyond me, but hey, more power to them.  Perhaps the chance to get to look at the rolling hills over the Bering Sea is reason enough to live away from town.  I know I certainly felt a calling to this particular area.

The fog covering the distant comm towers gave everything an almost Prypiat feeling to it.  Every once and a while you would here the sound of metal scraping against itself as a worker on the top of the mountain was dismantling part of the White Alice framework out of eyesight.  Aside from that, the hike was eerily quiet.  Short of playing a few hours of Skyrim, I don't think I've ever had a hiking experience quite like this before.

Never before have I been in such fog. 

Bones and a blanket.  You tell me.

Bone.  I'm presuming from a dragon.
This seems normal and not out of place at all.
The 'Anvil'.
Apparently there is a good view from the rocks...just not today.
Bekah and Matt acting as my tour guides.
Obviously I'm not a great sign follower.

Arriving at the White Alice site.
One of the towers in the process of asbestos removal.
This lone fellow with the military stopped to talk with us a bit about the site.
Sepia toned for your pleasure.
On our way back down the mountain we ran across these muskox.
Before, this was the only sighting of muskox I had experienced.
All in all it was a great, surreal kind of day.  I can't wait to get back up there again.  Until then White Alice will have her eye on me and mine on her.

Wish me luck tomorrow as it is my first day working at the radio station!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos Josh! love the crazy teddy bear on the beach photo!! Whoa! So surreal... :)

    ReplyDelete