Sunday, August 12, 2012

Baby Steps, Josh, Baby Steps...

My oh my, what a week it has been.

To say that I had to hit the ground running at the start of this work week is an understatement.  In fact it often feels like I am sprinting just to keep my head above water.  Yeah, I know, I am mixing my running and swimming metaphors, but stick with me - this week was a challenge.

Since Monday morning I have gone from zero radio experience to sitting in on and even hosting several DJ shifts, flubbed my words more than a handful of times in front of Western Alaska and whoever might be tuning in Russia wise, and have been given basic training on everything from news reporting to radio tower maintenance.  Come Friday I felt that my brain was merely a dish sponge with gallons upon gallons of water being poured upon it that would just bounce off of the already saturated surface. 

Geeze.  I've really gotta start working on my metaphors.

I tend to be a hard on myself about doing well in my work, and I know I should certainly lighten up considering that it is only my first week working in an entirely different field, but I certainly look forward to the day I feel proficient at this whole DJ gig.  I believe I have a grasp on he production part - making shows, inputting new music to play, creating spots.  It is the actual time spent with the microphone in front of me that wierds me out a bit.  Sure, it is nerve wracking trying  not to say something completely idiotic or inappropriate to thousands of listeners, but what really stumps me is the timing, multitasking, and technology behind it all.  I am sure I have asked the three same questions revolving around my DJ sets at least a dozen times over to a number of staff members at the station.  Luckily they are all kind enough not to smack me in the face with a paperweight whenever they see me approaching their desk.

Again,  I do tend to be more than a little self-critical so I shouldn't concentrate on these feelings too much.  I just hope that my fellow volunteers arriving soon grasp on to these concepts more seamlessly than I have. 

I am sure they will.

Hopefully next week I'll be entertaining you with tales of my on-air wit and technological capability.  Until then I'll be trying to free up some space in the ol' sponge.

No comments:

Post a Comment