Sunday, September 2, 2012

Berry Dredge.

At our weekly staff meeting each of us gets spotlighted for any updates we have about work.  I always start mine off by saying "Things are super great".  Then that sentiment is usually followed by "That's all".  As the whirlwind of training has come to an end (more or less - I supposed you never really stop training altogether) I find myself really diving into my work and finding a lot of enjoyment in it.  Not only are all the people I work with wonderful, but the work itself provides a lot of satisfaction. 

As a kid I used to make mixtapes to play to the invisible audience in my room.  It seems now that such a practice was less childhood folly, and moreso off site job training.  The fact that my day consists of producing music shows, screening brand new albums, and, to put it simply, say words on the radio is thrilling.  It was hard to grasp how I could possibly ever work with music as a kid seeing as how I knew I likely wouldn't go to college for it plus I lacked any background in the subject.  Somehow here I am.  I can't say that I plan to make music shows for the rest of my life, but it feels great to live out this dream even if it is just for a little while.

Of course there is more to my day-to-day than wearing headphones.  Nome life thusfar has been an adventure.  With the arrival of fellow KNOM service members I've found myself taking hikes up Anvil Mountain, blueberry picking on the tundra until my hands are numb from cold, and exploring abandoned gold dredges.  I had planned on doing a post for each of these experiences but am experiencing the second month blog slump that I usually do.  Maybe September will be better.  Until then, enjoy these photos!

The abandoned dredge.  You see the flume in the far left?  We climbed all the way to the top of it!

Not OSHA approved.

Climbing up the tower...for just a little ways.

Eva at the controls.

Laura's dogs can smell out the best berry patches!

The yield.

Daynee and Eva.

The tundra is a miniature jungle!
 










 









No comments:

Post a Comment